Skip to main content

The South's Best College Towns

Southern Living magazine recently featured Chapel Hill, NC as one of the South's best college towns. But of course, some of us already knew that without having to read it in a magazine...

In their words: 

"Chapel Hill 101: From outdoor cafes and public art murals to formal colonial residences fluttering Stars and Stripes, the University of North Carolina's hometown is classic Americana.

Why It Made Our List: Think of this city as one big food festival where farmers, chefs, and diners all come together in the name of local ingredients and Southern cuisine. Culinary events take over downtown streets and James Beard Foundation Award-winning chefs like Andrea Reusing think local. At her Lantern restaurant on West Franklin Street, she serves up Asian-inspired dishes."

In my words:

Chapel Hill is a magical place. I don't just say this because I attended college there - because I could hate the place where I was dumped not once, but twice. That's just how awesome this place is - especially on game days. Those football Saturdays, there are sparks in the air and everyone feels like God is truly looking down on us from the Carolina blue skies.

Chapel Hill Fire Department
That baby blue means so much to me and my fellow Tar Heels. It's not a common color as far as collegiate brands, so there's a sort of feeling of ownership of this color - and everything Carolina blue. When you visit Chapel Hill, you'll see they've embraced the baby blue - on the Chapel Hill fire department trucks, street signs, ice-cream, trash-can liners. Pretty much anything you can think of has been turned blue in celebration of this awesome university.

Walker and I have attended two of the UNC home football games already this year and we had a blast! Mike works most Saturdays, so we had to go without him (but that's ok because he's a Dukie anyway). Walker literally sat through the first game in its entirety, without even getting up once. Plus, it was a TV game - so it was almost four hours. I think he's officially a Tar Heel too.

Comments

  1. I am a north carolinian and have any friends who attend UNC and I love it! My grandparents graduated from there and have season tickets to the football games and are still many years later very dedicated fans!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having lived in the North (but being a Southern girl) I can tell you that our Southern college towns all rock! Loved the SL article and so glad you love your little spot of Southern College Heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be a little biased since I went to UNC too, but, I completely agree! It is a magical place-- probably my favorite place in the world. Gosh, I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you all think! Thanks for visiting and let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars Gift Bag Tags

Two years ago, for Walker's Star Wars birthday, I created Yoda tags to attach to the gift bags for the party. Little did I know these bag tags would become so popular on Pinterest! To date, these tags have been repinned almost 500 times!!! So I thought since there's so much interest, I'd add them to my Etsy shop . So now, for just $8.00 - you can receive the file electronically and print them for yourself! I jazzed them up a bit with some sliver glitter puff paint on the light saber and some silver ribbon to attach to the dollar store bags. Print as many or as few as you want! So, if you are planning a Star Wars party, check them out ! And may the force be with you!

Baby Shower Inspiration Boards

I got all excited about the baby shower inspiration board contest over at Sippycups Are for Chardonnay , but only ended up submitting this first one on time. I managed to pull the second together this weekend just for kicks and loved the colors, so thought I'd share here. The first board is call "Nesting Instincts" and the second is "Over the Rainbow". I think I could get addicted to creating these things.

Giveaway - Free Headers!

Hi everyone! Since I didn't even realize I passed my 200th post until now, I've decided to host a giveaway! Here's the deal...I'm giving away two free blog headers to two lucky readers. If you've just had a blog makeover or don't need a new header, leave a comment on behalf of one of your other blog friends and I'll add another entry for them! I'll announce the winners next Wednesday, 18 February. Here are the rules: 1. Leave a comment and be entered once. 2. Leave a comment and become a follower to be entered twice . If you become a follower or if you're already a follower make sure you let me know in your comment. 3. Leave a comment, become a follower, and do a post about my giveaway on your blog to be entered three times. Here's my latest satisfied client: The Pink Clutch