Skip to main content

What's A Parsons Table?

I'll admit, I've never been schooled in the formalities of design, and such, couldn't really name the styles of specific types of furniture from different eras, but as I'm coming to love decor and starting to get more into the fun of it all, I'm learning. This may be basic stuff I never knew and most of you may already know, but thought I'd share anyhow in case there is that one other person out that that asks, "what they heck is a parsons table and why is it called that?"

It's a trend I've seen in all of the major design publications and online - these sleek, simple tables, desks and accent pieces. Out with the chunky, clunky coffee table, and in with the modern and sophisticated look.

I happened upon the parsons table after searching for hours upon hours on websites for the perfect coffee table for "the room". I kept coming across something called a parsons table, so I did what any intelligent person would do, I wikipedia-ed it. Here's what came back:


So, I figured that Parsons school the use on Project Runway could be related, and I was right! And just so you know, how the Parsons school got its name:


 

So, getting to my point, I've found some great parsons tables and rooms with parsons tables through my searches, from extremely affordable to extremely expensive and I'm gonna share them with you, just in case you're looking too! I actually purchased the parsons coffee table from Wal-Mart (and the parsons desk too) for the new room. They came in this week and I'm already loving both pieces!




So what do you think? Gonna run out and buy one for yourself to give your room a quick makeover, or do you think it's too simple for your taste?



Comments

  1. I like the look but it's not practical for us. I need a coffee table that has either drawers or a shelf cause we have too much stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love simple pieces like that. They never go out of style!


    Hope you have a wonderful night Love,
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Have you seen the night stand/side tables? They have them at West Elm. Got a pair the other day for a cool $99 each. They look AMAZING and so chic.

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i kind of like these tables, but my stuff is pretty antique-ish so i'm not sure how they would mesh. the next time i'm in the market for a table though, i might make it one of these. i do love that mirrored one from elle decor, or maybe i just love the pink! hope you've had a great week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The parsons table is a great accent to any room in the house. I really like the examples you shared of how it can be dressed up. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about it, but it's simplicity helps bring out the other flattering features in the room. Great research! http://bit.ly/aLnmqT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you all think! Thanks for visiting and let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars Gift Bag Tags

Two years ago, for Walker's Star Wars birthday, I created Yoda tags to attach to the gift bags for the party. Little did I know these bag tags would become so popular on Pinterest! To date, these tags have been repinned almost 500 times!!! So I thought since there's so much interest, I'd add them to my Etsy shop . So now, for just $8.00 - you can receive the file electronically and print them for yourself! I jazzed them up a bit with some sliver glitter puff paint on the light saber and some silver ribbon to attach to the dollar store bags. Print as many or as few as you want! So, if you are planning a Star Wars party, check them out ! And may the force be with you!

Baby Shower Inspiration Boards

I got all excited about the baby shower inspiration board contest over at Sippycups Are for Chardonnay , but only ended up submitting this first one on time. I managed to pull the second together this weekend just for kicks and loved the colors, so thought I'd share here. The first board is call "Nesting Instincts" and the second is "Over the Rainbow". I think I could get addicted to creating these things.

A Jewel Kade Giveaway!

My friend Cristina sent me an e-mail about some great new jewelry she's selling that is right up my alley! I think it's fun, eclectic, original and affordable! If you haven't yet heard of Jewel Kade, you will soon! The collection consists of handcrafted charms, bracelets and necklaces with a vintage, urban and romantic feel. Here are some of my favorite pieces, picked directly from Cristina's site . Aren't they fun??? You know I love the Halloween ones!!! I'm gonna give you a necklace and charm free!!! Here's what you get if you are the lucky winner! To enter, leave me a comment and tell me which charm is your favorite and why? For two entries, Tweet this content, then come back here and tell me. The winner will be announced Friday, 22 October. If you're interested in learning more about Jewel Kade or if you live in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area and would like to host a party, e-mail Cristina: cristinagarner at nc dot rr dot com. Also, th