(No, this isn't about Edward Cullen, Sookie Stackhouse or the Vampire Diaries.)
I'm giving blood today at work and just thought I'd take a quick chance to remind others out there to do it too. It's pretty painless and they give you lots of great snacks and goodies afterwards.
According to the American Red Cross website:
- Currently only 3 out of every 100 people in America donate blood.
- 5 million people who receive blood transfusions every year, your donation can make the difference between life and death.
- Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood
- You will weigh less — one pint less when you leave than when you came in. (YES!!!)
- Nobody can ask you to do any heavy lifting as long as you have the bandage on. (Yippee - no laundry tonight!)
- You will be someone's hero — you may give a newborn, a child, a mother or a father, a brother, or a sister another chance at life. In fact, you may help save up to three lives with just one donation.
So, think about the benefits and don't be scared to give blood. And, contrary to some of the vampire stories out there, there is no substitute for human blood.